THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES ARE:
1. To evaluate on a regular basis:
a. The organisation's effectiveness in accomplishing its mission;
b. The role and performance of the Student Union Director on an annual basis;
c. The effectiveness of the allocation of resources;
d. The effectiveness of individual Trustees and of the Board of Trustees as a whole;
e. Whether the HASU should continue as an organisation.
2. To establish and oversee:
a. Institutional policies passed at the Annual General Meeting of its members;
b. Staffing policies;
c. Systems for fiscal accountability.
3. To take responsibility for planning by:
a. Ensuring that there is a mission statement;
b. Ensuring that there is a strategic plan;
c. Overseeing the implementation of the strategic plan.
4. To oversee the finances and allocation of funds by:
a. Agreeing on the annual budget for HASU;
b. Monitoring the management of budget;
c. Approving the memorandum of understanding between HASU and HAU
5. To appoint annually the Returning Officer and the Auditors for HASU.
6.. To rule on the interpretation of the Articles of Association and Bye-Laws in the case of disputes.
EACH MEMBER OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF UWESU SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- A full understanding of the Articles of Association and Bye-Laws of HASU.
- A full understand the relevant legislation (charity law, company law).
- A full understanding of the roles and responsibilities of the Board of Trustees.
- A full understanding of the roles and responsibilities of the staff.
- An understanding of the day-to-day activities of HASU.
- Providing general advice and assistance to HASU upon request by the Board of Trustees.
- Providing reports, materials and other items associated with Board of Trustees responsibilities and activities in a timely manner.
- Informing the Board of Trustees of all actual or potential conflicts of interest relating to the general purposes and activities of HASU & to specific issues before the Board of Trustees.
- Preparing for and attending all meetings of the Board of Trustees and serving on sub-committees as appointed or elected.