- Representing students and ensuring the student's voice is effectively heard.
- Contributing to the development of the Union strategy.
- Upholding the SU democratic system and ensuring student demographics and interests are recognised and reflected.
- Generating and overseeing the SU events programme and commercial activity.
- Overseeing and supporting Clubs and Societies.
- Chairs the Trustee Board and SU Executive Committee as well as sitting on a number of other university committees.
- Member of the University Board of Governors.
I first got involved with Harper Adams SU in my second year where I held the role of RAG Chairman.
I kept involved throughout the years and after returning from placement I was the Secretary of the Summer Ball Committee in 2019.
I have just completed my degree in Rural Enterprises and Land Management, I am looking forward to meeting you all throughout my year as President and I hope you enjoy your student experience as much as I did.
In my spare time I spend time with my herd of pedigree Red Ruby Devons at home in Cornwall and showing cattle around the South West and Wales.
Why did you run for SU President?
During my time at Harper the SU has played a big part of my experience and it provided me with many memorable experiences. For this reason, I wanted to be a part of the SU team in a capacity which allowed me to ensure other students had some of the same great experiences that I had. I also wanted the opportunity to make a difference to the student experience at Harper, ensure that students received value for money for sports clubs and societies as well as with events and other areas of the SU. The opportunity of being a university governor was also a great chance to have a student voice within the Board of Governors which oversee the running of the university and ensure students’ voices are heard and acted upon.
What are your priorities for the year?
As I have already mentioned, ensuring value for money is one of my main objectives, in the past the prices of tickets, clubs and societies memberships have gradually increased year on year with students receiving nothing extra for that additional price. I have made sure when we have set budgets that affordability for students is one of the main priorities as we are a student led organisation at the end of the day. I also want to work on getting more out of our excellent facilities we have on offer to us. Using the bar area and the Welly more for a variety of different events giving students more options on how they can spend their spare time. Increasing our use of effective marketing and advertising is another priority for me, we need to communicate better with the student body so they are aware of what we are up to and what we are working on. Finally, holding the university to account, there would be no university without its students, the students should be what the university is about and I will ensure all decision made are done with the student body in mind and are the centre of attention.
I love Harper because…
This is a difficult one as there are so many reasons why I love Harper and writing them down is going to be a challenge, but here are my top five reasons as to why I love Harper:
- The friendly and inclusive atmosphere,
- The approachability of the staff that work here,
- The amazing opportunities students are given,
- The campus, it is easily accessible with plenty of learning spaces but also a great range of recreational and social spaces,
- The people, the people are what make Harper. You will make friends here that last a life time and you will bump into a fellow Harper student all over the country, even the world.
What advice would you give to new students this year?
Things might look a bit different this year but that doesn’t mean the Harper spirit is lost. I would encourage you all to try something new and push yourself, whether that is trying out a new sport or joining a society just throw yourself into things. University is one of the best things you will ever do, you will learn skills to last a life team, you will try new things and meet new people but whilst doing all of that, make sure you enjoy yourself.
Talk to Thomas about:
You can talk to me about any events we run or you think we should run, I also support with sports and societies so I can help you out there as well. I would love to hear your feedback on how you feel the SU and the university is being run, things that you like are just as important as things that you don’t like and would like to see changed. I am here to help you get the most out of your student experience.