What To Do When Something Goes Wrong?

If you are not happy with anything regarding the way the Union has dealt with you or a group that you are a part of, this is how to complain.

The full complaints policy and guidance is downloadable in full below, please ensure you have read these (including the exclusions and expectations) prior to submitting a complaint.

In short, we have a three stage process;

1.    INFORMAL. We will always want to address a problem immediately, and without recourse to formal processes wherever possible (and appropriate). Please do raise any issues you have with the person responsible for the area of service, activity or decision. They will try to resolve this to your satisfaction and communicate the actions taken to you (provided you have given a contact email/number). RESOLUTION EXPECTED: immediate-  7 days.

2.    FORMAL. If the informal process above has not worked out to your satisfaction, or if you feel the problem is too serious to be dealt with in this way, you can use the complaints form below to register a formal complaint. This will be processed by the Union, and you will be kept in full contact about the process and the decisions made. RESOLUTION EXPECTED: 5-12 working days

3.    APPEAL. If you are still not happy with the decision made in the process above, you have the right to appeal, which will be heard by a member of the HASU Trustee Board. You will be informed of the process to appeal at the conclusion of the formal process described above. RESOLUTION EXPECTED: up to 28 days

IF the matter is still not resolved to your satisfaction, you may refer the matter to the University Secretary who may in turn refer it to an independent person appointed by the University Board of Governors in accordance with the provisions of the 1994 Education Act (1994). Their decision will be final and will be fully complied with by the Union.