Firstly, we’ve received your letter and we want to hear from you! With this, the SU Director and other staff want to present to you how we are funded, how we spend the funding/income and our challenges. We want to again offer you the opportunity to have your questions heard and answered. Join us in the Barn on Tuesday (13th) evening at 5pm.
Besides this, there’s a couple of other things on the horizon I wanted to share with you:
- Finally, after 7 months of building on the work of previous Presidents, I have managed to secure some funding from the University to run a pilot scheme of supplying students with FREE, ORGANIC and SUSTAINABLE period products! In an attempt to become a Period Dignity University, the scheme will run in the toilets of ground floor Faccenda, Kaldi, and Vet Building to compliment the already existing provision in the Barn. I hope that following some success of the scheme, we will be able to extend it across campus. Condoms have also been made freely available from Student Services. Watch this space for next week’s launch!
- Ian (Activities Coordinator) and I recently spoke with the Chairperson’s of some Clubs and Societies. We want to reiterate that funding has not, and will not, be withdrawn. We will be releasing the notes from the meeting, for wider viewing, on our website, later today.
- On a positive note, the University are on-board with the HASU Awards Ceremony intended to celebrate students’ achievements in a variety of ways. I wanted to bring back the True-Blue Awards in a revamped fashion and recognise members of our Students’ Union for their outstanding contribution to life at Harper. More on this to come soon.
- To the users of the Rugby Pitches for games and training, after our lobbying, the University has green-lighted a change to the lights to improve the lighting levels! The changing of the entire lighting columns comes at a significant investment to the University and so needs to be considered at a later date during wider campus master planning. However, if no complications halt work, the new lights should be in place in the coming months.
On behalf of the Union, I wanted to thank our guests from our events this past week – Wednesday’s Drag Queens and Thursday’s Ceilidh Band, The Shropshire Heroes – for putting on two spectacular evenings of fun.
Finally then, things coming up to get in your diaries:
- Cheap pints on the Quids-in offers are running ALL-DAY across ALL Six Nations fixtures! Keep an eye on the Weekly What’s On social media posts for which nations are playing and when.
- Fancy running for a 24/25 SU Exec role, including the Presidency? Nominations open this coming Monday, 12th February! Any questions, pop us an email or drop into the office for a chat about the roles.
- Hobgoblins returns for a weekend of Alumni Sports Fixtures and 2 back-to-back nights in the Barn with Queen, Killers and ABBA Tribute Bands! Tickets are available for individual night and weekend access at www.harpersu.com/events
- Paddy’s Ball tickets are going live Monday (12th) February at 5pm – get in fast to get a limited early-bird ticket! Acts will be released over the coming weeks.
Drop us a line at email@example.com or feel free to come and speak to us in the office. As per last week’s update, we operate an open-door policy for all students.