Learner Support comprises Learner Support, Academic Guidance and Maths Support
Learner Support services include:
- Free dyslexia screening
- Arranging SpLD diagnostic assessments (such as for dyslexia)
- Advice and guidance on the Disabled Students' Allowance
- Advice and support for students with disabilities including dyslexia
- Arranging Study Needs Assessments as part of the Disabled Students' Allowance
- Implementation of exam reasonable adjustments (subject to suitable evidence)
- Specialist Study Skills support (funding through the Disabled Students' Allowance)
- Signposting to other support services including Academic Guidance and Maths Support
To enable you to achieve the most out of your studies, students are encouraged to share with the University if they have a specific learning difficulty (e.g. dyslexia or dyspraxia), long term medical condition, physical disability, mental health conditions or hearing/visual impairment.
It may be that you think you have dyslexia or dyspraxia, but you have not had any tests to confirm this. An initial free screening test can be booked at the university.
Contact Details for Learner Support
Academic Guidance provides academic skills support for all students and further information can be found on the Support for Learning area of The Learning Hub. One of the ways that Harper Adams University can support you is by making explicit the skills which you need to develop, and which we consider essential for effective learning. Many of these skills are important facets of your future employment too, and therefore, you should not consider any investment in learning these purely academic.
Support is available to all students through out the year via:
Individual Sessions (by appointment)
A series of workshops including research and referencing report writing, essay writing, revision and exam techniques. Guides to support these topic areas are also available on the Learning Hub.
Study skills resources available on the ‘Support for Learning’ area on the Learning Hub.
Contact Details for Academic Guidance
Maths Support - Maths support assists students with the mathematical elements of their courses. Mathematics is a subject which often causes students to worry. Previous students have really improved their understanding and confidence, and achieved better results. This support is available to students on an individual or small group basis. Further information can be found on the Maths Support section of The Learning Hub.
Contact Details for Maths Support
Student Feedback on Learner Support
- “The whole team is so approachable and supportive - A real asset to the university”
- “Learning support has been the best thing Harper has offered me! It has helped my academic work hugely and built my confidence for working on my own. There is nothing to improve on!”
- “Very grateful for all the help I have been given in my fourth and second year at Harper Adams. Was screened at the start of the second year and the necessary arrangements were made."
- “I cannot fault the service and would recommend it to anyone, provided excellent help on improving my report writing, layout and referencing” (Taken from Learner Support termly surveys)
Student Feedback – Academic Guidance
- “I wish I used academic guidance sooner. They have been excellent and I have produced my best work with their help”
- “Helped me stay on track with my work, as well as to boost my confidence academically in the transition to University standard of work from sixth form”.
- “Knowing the support is there has been invaluable. When stuck, it is a great place to go, either to discuss ideas / go through the brief / get over a writers block”.
Learner Support on the Learning Hub which provides more information on areas such as: how to access services, guidance on accessing external support including the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).