Here at Harper Adams Students' Union we are proud of the work which many of our students are involved in both whilst at University and outside. Harper Adams takes pride in being at the forefront of educating, inspiring and empowering current and future farmers. British farmers not only grow and produce some of the highest quality and healthiest foods in the world but are also the custodians of our beautiful countryside.
Not many universities have their own commercial farm on campus, but here at Harper Adams our students are able to have a hands-on learning approach on the 494-hectare University Farm, food research facilities and innovation centres. HASU recognises the importance of the British Agricultural industry both locally and globally and aims to help support our members that work, live and relax in this industry. Our stance on Backing British Agriculture is one of full support for British farmers and growers, and towards all of our students who are involved in the industry in some way.
HASU understands that not everyone is in a position to fully understand how they can personally Back British Agriculture, so below we have complied a list of some small changes and some larger ones which could have a huge impact on Backing British Agriculture;
- Check for The Red Tractor Logo – this logo is only found on products that have complied with important animal, environmental and medical regulations. Read More at: https://redtractor.org.uk/
- Look for products that aim to give back to farmers – Arla ‘Farmers Milk’ offers an extra 25p per bottle back to the dairy farmers if a bottle with that branding is purchased. ASDA has a similar offer. Look out for promotional bottles in your local stores! Read More at: https://www.newfoodmagazine.com/news/25645/arla-farmers-milk/
- Eat ‘in Season’ produce – eating sustainably ensures better taste, better value and better for the planet. Some of the foods we enjoy cannot be grown in the UK either at all or in certain seasons, if we change our eating habits to focus more on those British products which are grown in season we can reduce food miles, food waste and support British agriculture. Read More at: https://eatseasonably.co.uk/
HASU will be taking part in a number of national and local campaigns to ‘Back British Agriculture’;
- Buy British Day – 3rd October 2022
- Backing British Farming – January 2023
HASU is proud to support the #BiteintoBritish campaign with our new limited-edition gilets; proceeds from these #BiteintoBritish gilets going to the farming charity the Farming Community Network (FCN). These gilets are produced from recycled materials (10 x 1L p[astic bottles go into one gilet)so not only are they supporting FCN but they are also doing their part for sustainability!